- CC: @keystonematthew twitter.com/Q_NASTY21/stat… 4 days ago
- Scheduling note: @NBATV replaying games 3, 5-7 of 2016 Finals. Indulge or avoid as you see fit. 1 week ago
- Enjoyed this to-100 list from @RobMahoney and @BenGolliver: si.com/nba/2016/09/12… 1 week ago
- Shaved head Rik Smits look like the world largest serial killer 1 week ago
- John Thompson asserted "most" people using cell phones in 2001 weren't talking to anyone, but rather "profiling" 1 month ago
Just messing around, getting triple doubles
Cause for Excitement
December 27, 2011Posted by on
If you’ve read any of my team preview posts, you probably picked up on the theme of excited curiosity that surrounds the unknown. We all know what Derrick Rose and Dwight Howard and Samuel Dalembert are capable of doing, but we’re still learning about young players and guys who have switched uniforms.
With that that in mind, I was tickled last night as I sat on my couch, New Castle in hand, feet kicked up and landed the remote on the OKC @ Minnesota game. There was that Russell Westbrook whipping and snapping all over the court, a new haircut for Nick Collison, a DC battle between Beasely and Durant, and then the Spanish question mark Ricky Rubio. Yeah man, I was all skeptical about Rubio. Skeptical about his defense. Skeptical about his foot speed. Skeptical about the hype. I wasn’t quite hating on the kid, but I wasn’t supportive either and I can make a case that I wasn’t even fair in regards to his NBA potential.
I’m fully aware that 26 minutes and 18 seconds doesn’t count for much of a sample, but watching Rubio thread passes through the tiniest and tightest of lanes and openings had me stroking the stubble on my chin and nodding in agreement: Yes, that’s a man who can pass. The passes he made were hard enough to see let alone execute and he repeatedly threw these passes without making a single turnover. Ahhh … it was a breath of fresh air and for Minnesota fans, you people (whatchu mean, you people?!?! – it’s not even like that) should be rejoicing in the name of all that is round, leather and flies through a steel rim: